Sunday, November 7, 2010

Poppy Mixed Media

Well this is the Remembrance Day project I have come up with for this year "Mixed Media Poppies". 
Tape off your watercolor or white sketch paper for that nice finished edge and then paint in your background color with disc tempera. 
While the paint is still wet cover with a layer of plastic wrap and smoosh it slightly.  Leave in place until dry. 
While your background is drying work on your poppy papers.  You want a few types.  In this one I'm using thicker liquid tempera and patting it in with the brush leaving some nice textured brush marks.
For this one I'm using the liquid tempera like glue and squishing some red tissue paper into the wet paint.  Cover with a top coat of paint as well.  It is similar to the technique I used in this post.
In this one I'm covering the paper with paint and then placing bubble wrap on top while wet.  Leave on til dry.
In this one I painted the paper a background red, left it to dry and then came in with a different color red and stamped in circles using a small plastic cup.

Make some green painted and textured paper at the same time.
You could also weave some poppies using the technique described in my "woven eye" post.
Paint around the weaving to finish them off.




When your poppy papers and background is dry start putting your picture together.


Cut out some stems from the green paper.  Don't forget to add a pod or two.







Cut a large circle from some of the poppy paper.  Don't worry about it being perfect...in fact for this project they look better if they are a bit off.

Add a second smaller circle and then use a black button for the center.  Glue into place.





Add some detailing with sharpie and crayon to add that extra bit of emphasis.

I also made little lines to represent the fuzziness on the stem and pod.












That's it.  We'll see you next time.
















Here are the Poppies Grade 2 completed.

Great work students!







29 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I love this diferent textures of paper.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! I wanted to do poppies with my students and I couldn't find an idea that would work well for them. This will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic art lesson - the poppies look stunning! I love all the texture prints and different techniques used here. I can't wait to try it with my primary class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gail, these are wonderful! thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!!! You made my day and inspired me totally :) This is SO beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do so love your art projects. These poppies are fantastic. We just might have to try this out Thursday when the kids are home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, especially the techniques you have used for texturing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the bubble wrap idea...very impressive! I do art and lately, clay when there is a lull. Lately, no lulls as my children's books are just out in print again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make me want to do art! I always enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for sharing your ideas and methods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the ideas for texturing with paint. I think I will try those out with my kids to make collage papers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so very much. I did this wonderful activity with my year 5 students today, It was a great success.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love,Love Love the backgrounds on these...and everything else!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Come visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone....you have me beaming, I'm so glad this project went over so well. Remembrance Day can be a challenge in the art project department. I'm updating this post with pictures from the Grade 2 display so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gail,

    These are lovely! I'm thinking of modifying this for fabric as I have a girlfriend that LOVES poppies. I feel a Christmas present coming on. Thank you SO much for posting your amazing projects.

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful! I love all of the texture!! We've used bubble wrap before, but not plastic wrap. They turned out fantastically, and I can't wiat to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Truly lovely! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are excellent! Love all of your ideas!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can I come play at your house!!!!!???? Wonderful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for this, I'm hoping to try this with my Year 5 class on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you think this could work with kindergarteners? I will be teaching a K-3rd group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could do it as some of the Grade 3's could help out the minders if needed. The weaving I would only attempt if you had some parent volunteers to assist. I did a woven eyed bat project with a kindergarten class and we needed them to be paired with their Grade 6 buddies.

      Delete
    2. I meant kinders not minders, blame it on auto correct

      Delete
  21. I have made some of these with my Year 5/6 class to be used in an Anzac display we are doing. I loved the idea of the different textures. For some of them we used red cellophane glued on paper - same idea as the plastic wrap idea. These turned out really well and gave a lovely texture to the paper when dried. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete