Tuesday, May 4, 2010

How to Make a Clay Polar Bear





This is a clay Polar Bear project I just completed with Grade 3.





Take a slice of clay and roll to about 1/2 inch thick.

Cut a nice oval base with a wooden skewer.






Using your finger dipped in water smooth the jagged edge left from cutting.

I explain to the students that if we leave this edge that once this piece is fired this could be very sharp and might cut someone.







Take some clay and form 2 back legs and 2 smaller front legs.











Using the "scratch, scratch, water, water" chant we attach these legs to the base.

We want to be sure the 2 surfaces that are touching have been sufficiently scored and moistened so that our clay will "glue" together.





Taking a fair lump of clay (palm sized) form a pear or gourd shape for the body.

Place it on the 4 legs and continue refining until you are happy with the shape.  Attach to the 4 legs with the "scratch, scratch, water,water".











Continue to define the shape and pinch out some ears.  You want a pointy nose.

I had reference photos for the kids to look at while sculpting.







Using a toothpick we added our names and the year to the base.












Leave bears to dry out for about 2 weeks.

After completing a bisque fire in the kiln, glaze using white and blue underglaze with a clear topcoat.

and that's it!  The grade 3's did an awesome job.
See you next time.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, what a cool project, you are so good at explaining the process, it is a real skill that you have, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! I'm always looking for new clay projects. I've never considered adding the legs to a base first. I've always had the kids attach legs after. This looks easier. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back the first ever clay project that I did with kids- I made the most magnificent polar bear. I sent them all off to the high school for firing. I am sure they were still very wet inside. _ HIdeous result !! Now we make all hollow forms - no breaks for 20 years now
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [05 May 03:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so great. Will have to wait till our kiln is set up though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty good post. I just came by your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific idea. I always enjoy stopping by to see what you are teaching as I am an art docent in my kids' school. I was wondering how they did not blow up in the kiln being solid? The message at our kiln is that the items should be hollow. Any info would help a ton. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey everyone thanks for the comments!
    As far as the bears not blowing up in Calgary we have a very dry climate (cold but dry). I let the bears dry out for a good 2 weeks and not one of them cracked or blew up. That was with 45 bears.

    If you are concerned you can take a pencil and insert it in the body (stomach side starting at about where the back leg starts) making a hole lengthwise. This will help ensure that the body dries out.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tutorial, I love the way you go over each step in detail! All your polar bears turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you ever worry about them blowing up in the kiln since the bodies aren't hollowed out?
    Looks like a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As Gail mentioned if you are worried about cracking or blowing up let them dry thoroughly and then what we do is"candle"them for a few hours. If you have a computerized kiln take the load up to a few degrees below boiling and let them sit for 4 to 6 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. can't wait to create these with my kids this winter! such an awesome project! Thanks so much for sharing! I'll be following your site. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I am doing this for my art class! I am a student and my teacher assigned it.

    ReplyDelete