Saturday, August 29, 2009

Stained Glass on Paper

This is a really easy technique that gives you a stained glass effect using paper, tempera or watercolor and glue. After my last post I received some comments advising me to try some colored glue...I gave it a try and it turned out great ...Thanks so much Toni and Gena!
Materials Required:
white school glue
black acrylic paint
paper, I used 90lb wc but heavy sketch would work as well
watercolor or cake tempera paint
paintbrush
masking tape



I took regular school glue this time and mixed in 2 good squeezes of black acrylic paint. I mixed it right in the glue bottle using a chopstick to stir it up.

To my surprise it became very black I was a little worried it would be milky grey. Because the glue itself will dry clear the color you add stands out very nicely.


Tape your paper down. I'm using 90lb wc paper that we use at school. A heavy sketch paper would do just fine as well as white posterboard.

Draw out your design in pencil.






My 9 yr old son agreed to be my test subject on the condition he could draw whatever he wanted...he chose Star Wars.








Trace over your design with the black glue. If you get some on the tape you can wipe it away before it dries. I left some on the tape and I had to cut it off .











My son stated " Mom.... this is way easy!!" giving his stamp of approval that Grade 4 could do this.
























Let your design dry. Make sure to leave it on a flat surface.

























After it has dried you can take an eraser if you want and erase any pencil lines












Paint your design. The nice thing about the glue is it keeps the paint from running into other sections .









That's all there is to it...I can see some great applications for Christmas.
Here is the one my son did....I think it turned out pretty cool !!
Thanks again Toni and Gena!
see you next time
gail

16 comments:

  1. Wow, it turned out awesome! I love your blog and I use it all the time in my art history class projects. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and wanted to congratulate you on all the wonderful projects. I also do lots of projects with my kids and I find your blog inspirational. We have already done the spring tree with straw and watercolor paper :) Thank you so much for all the pictures, all the work, and all the inspiration. My good wishes to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks amazing, this would be fun rainy day project too, fall leaves would be sp pretty.

    Need to check my craft supplies:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! My daughters are going to love trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your great ideas! My girls did the glue last night and are painting their "stained glass" pictures now! I teach art for our homeschool co-op and am looking for fun and unique art projects. I linked to this project on Facebook and also plan to share our results and this link on my blog soon.

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such creative ideas. Thank you for taking the time to share them with others. I love all of your projects - especially the ones where you use glue in unexpected ways. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is beautiful! Thanks so much for the great idea, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i came across your site from one pretty thing and i am so glad i did.. i love your blog and am subscribing to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the fact that I found you through One Pretty thing this week. I'm looking forward to trying your techniques in my art as well as sharing them with my daughters. I linked to this post in my Friday Favorites this morning. ~Lanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for your amazing comments!!!....you keep me energized to keep on posting..what would I do without you.
    Gena: Thanks again for the advice.
    Toni: I think the Fall leaf idea would be incredible..I may have to do that with Grade 2.
    Michelle: Thanks for the link..I checked out the girls work and they are terrific!
    Nadia: Thanks for subscribing..I hope I can keep coming up with some great projects.
    Lanie: Thanks for the link I am honored to be one of your Friday Favs
    Marianna,Harvest Moon by Hand,anonymous: Thanks again for the support
    and finally Rachel you are always most welcome linking my projects..thanks for your terrific site One Pretty Thing it is the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post - stained glass pictures ..Keep Posting


    Ron
    stained glass pictures

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your site. I run an art club and finding projects every week to keep 7-11 year olds entertained is hard work, so I find your work truly inspirational! Thank you. Please keep on posting as your ideas are great...I love them! If you are able to sometimes mention how long it takes for things to dry that would be great, only my art club runs for 1 hour and 15 minutes and I often run out of time doing projects!
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just stumbled across this while searching the net, thanks for sharing, you really have some fabulous tips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! So easy to follow! Can i use the same technique on a canvas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nurun Nahar,
      Yes, you can use the same technique on canvas. Watercolours will respond a little differently on canvas than on paper though.

      Delete
  15. I've done this with my third grade class for several years. It does take a lot of time and some adult support when the glue clogs etc. It's a great time to invite family volunteers in and keep them busy.

    ReplyDelete