Sunday, May 31, 2009

Father's Day Card

Here is a Father's Day card I couldn't resist putting on the blog. Brought to my attention by one of the Kindergarten Moms (thanks Larissa!) this will be the card Kindergarten will be making.
Materials Required:
template, you can use mine here
cardstock or posterboard around 8"x14"
sharpie marker
tempera paint
scissors
glue stick
foil
Using the template trace out your saw shape onto your posterboard. Outline with sharpie.
Find a window....trace the outline onto the other side in pencil. Take off of window and retrace your lines with the sharpie.
Paint the handle for the inside of the card. PLEASE NOTE: for some strange reason I did this backwards for these photos...for a proper card the handle should be on the left side.
When dry turn over and paint the handle and saw part...REMEMBER it's backward on this picture..handle should be on the right. Here I'm painting it all brown put you can paint the saw part grey or blue if you want.
Tear off a piece of foil that is as long as the saw part of the card.
Using the glue stick coat the inside saw with glue...go past the serrated ends to make sure your foil will be fully glued down before you start cutting......(remember picture is backwards..handle should be on left)
Place foil shiny side up onto the the glue and smooth...turn over and start cutting. You will have to trim the foil where the handle meets the metal part of the saw on the inside of the card.
Cut out the inside part of the handle.
Using the sharpie write on your message
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY on the front of the card
TO THE GREATEST DAD I EVER SAW! on the inside.....the sharpie works great on the foil.
That's it
Sorry I haven't posted much this past week but I have been trying to get my garden planted. Here in Calgary we are FINALLY safe to plant...we've had a very cold spring.
see you next time
gail

11 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your web site and this is a cute idea for Father's Day! I referenced this page in a blog post - which I haven't published yet - but would like to use just the top image to show what the card looks like when finished. Do you mind? If you do mind, I'll just publish the post as is, or with a picture of some type of saw at the top. Thanks!

    My blog site is: http://miazshomeschoolminutes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. MiaZagora, you can use the image as long as you provide a link back to my blog...thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the post! I'm sending them back to your web site for the instructions!

    http://miazshomeschoolminutes.blogspot.com/2009/06/great-idea-for-fathers-day-card.html

    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is so cute and something a little kid really could make with some help.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo cute!! I plan to do the suit and tie paper bag for the gift, and this will be our card! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the cutest Father's Day card I ever SAW! Very, very clever!
    Pam
    gingerbreadsnowflakes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone. Thanks Larissa for the idea and for helping the kindergartner's with making this card!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I have a tool loving hubby that would think this was awesome! :) I've featured this post on my blog, The Handmade Experiment. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Emily
    Great idea! I'm totally helping my 3 year old make one of these! I've also linked to this page from my blog, The Handmade Experiment. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    Emily
    http://emilyflippinmaruna.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/inspiration-wednesday-two-fathers-day-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI
    I just stumbled on this site and looked at this fathers day idea and would love to try it with my son to give to his first foster dad (the foster mum has since died). My boy is 5 but quite active so I am not sure how he will do but i would love to try
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea! I think my son would really enjoy making this for his dad. I have pinned this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect for my son-in-law who is a carpenter. My granddaughter and I will enjoy making this. Thanks so much, Karen w.

    ReplyDelete