Thursday, September 4, 2008

How to do a Fall Glue Batik

My Blue Glue Batik tutorial seems to be my most popular post so I thought I would try to do new projects with this technique to inspire you.


Shortly after writing my tutorial I got worried. Micheal's had the Galactic glue on clearance, did this mean they were phasing it out, my precious blue glue aaggh.... I did what anyone else would do in this situation ....I bought all they had. I noticed though they had a new version. Elmers washable school glue in a no run gel. This had no glitter and I thought it might work.

I decided to give it a try for this project. I have to say THIS STUFF WORKS BETTER. Why you ask, first there's no glitter to clog up the opening. It also has a smaller opening to begin with so you can do very fine lines. The glue is thinner so it saturates the fabric quicker and the bottle is very easy to squeeze. Great for those little hands.

Anyhow here is my practice project with the new blue glue. I was going for trees in autumn. I think it will be the new fall batik project at school.

For a detailed step by step and how to use this technique please check out the Glue Batik tutorial link to the right of this page in my blog layout.

I'll show you the general steps I used for this project.





The first step is to pencil in your design. UPDATE: I now have kids draw with black chalk, it washes out better than pencil and it shows up after glue dries so the painting works out better.







Use the glue straight from the bottle to fill in the parts you want to resist the paint. Let dry.   Young kids can have difficulty squeezing the bottle so you can put some in small container and have them use a small paintbrush.









Start painting in color. I knew this was to be a wall hanging so I didn't dilute my acrylic craft paint quite so much. I also waited and let parts of the painting dry before layering on additional colors.

You do lose some of the vibrant color during the washing out of the fabric but that is just how it goes.









Wash out glue as directed in the previous tutorial, dry and you have your new design.


Give it a try a make a new Fall wall hanging or flag. Remember this technique is very kid friendly (preschool to adult).





see you soon.
gail




P.S. Thank-you crafty This and That for the award I just need some time to figure out how to post it and pass it on.

11 comments:

  1. Great example. So looking forward to trying this next month with our 4 grandkids. They love to paint, and your project will be perfect. TAHNK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I just linked to your tutorial on easy batik with kids and came to tell you so. Now I see you gave us a new project to which we can aspire. How fantastic! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS, GAIL -- BRIGHT, CHEERFUL, FILLED WITH THOSE INCREDIBLE FALL COLORS I LOVE!! The instructions are so appreciated too!!! BRAVA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Make sure you give it a try this technique has so many possibilties. I think I'm going to try some fall placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the end product very washable? I am thinking about using this technique for napkins, so I am wondering if the color would fade after several washings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how long is it to dry it? I want to do this for a summer camp art class but only have 45 min class. Can it be done?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great tutorial. I'm a middle school teacher at a parochial school, so teaching art is part of my duty. This will be a great lesson to use with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what sort of material did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the idea. This is beautiful.

    I'm wondering what type of material you used and also what kind of paint you use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! For a t-shirt, how much should I dilute the paint? Why do you dilute it, and do I have to dilute? What happens if I don't? Thank you So Very Much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dilute it to make it flow better, to make it easier to paint. It also stretches your paint if you are doing this with a class. The fabric pretty much takes the paint almost immediately after it is applied so continued layering of paint is not necessary.

      Delete